The Coffee Table {For My Children}

Sunday, May 27, 2012


Dear Children -

The humble coffee table which has found a home among the couches and chairs of our living room has come to be many things. On Friday night, it is where you and Joey sit to eat homemade pizza while we watch a movie for our "Pizza and Movie Night". It has also been a pirate ship, a tent, a house, a fort. During the cold Winter months, you've even set it up against the couch and turned it into a slide. I believe it's been a roller coaster when I've placed it on the coach so that I could clean the carpets. I can't be certain as the carpet cleaner is much too loud to all that you do.

However, this small coffee table was something else when it was first purchased.

In one of our first apartments, your daddy and I barely had a kitchen let alone any room for a dining room table. So, we purchased a small coffee table that barely fit between the couch and the television set. It is where we had our first dinners together as a married couple.

Savannah, I was pregnant with you at the time and waddled my way up to the edge of the couch so I could share dinner with your daddy at our 'dining room table'.

It is one of the first objects you pulled yourself up to when you were a baby. Holding onto its edge and standing on unsteady legs, you ate as I fed you your favorite baby food - lasagna. {That must come from the Italian side of your daddy's family}

Joey, it is also one of the first things you pulled yourself up to.

It has a lot of scratches and dents in it now. It has also been where the two of you have made many picnics and sliced a lot of play-doh with plastic knives.

She is starting to get wobbly and I wonder how much longer she will be around. She has been a fantastic table and helped to create a lot of memories.