The decision to purchase a new vehicle is usually one that comes with a lot of weight. Vehicles are not inexpensive and there are so many factors that go into making your choice. Since 2008 (yes, 5 years) I have been discussing the purchase of a new vehicle with Dan. For quite some time, I had my heart set on purchasing a blue mini-van. Though at times, I think my children need to be separated by the space of a 15 passenger van. Perhaps even a small bus.
We have put off the purchase because neither of our cars were really in a position where they wouldn't run. When we make a purchase, we use it until we have no more use for it. So, taking away from our savings or adding a car payment has been difficult for us to warrant.
A few months ago, we came to the conclusion that the Fall/Winter of 2013 would be a good time to get a new vehicle. As that time draws closer - I become more guilt ridden with the thought of spending the money. I also hate to say 'goodbye' to a vehicle that has been so good to me for 12 years.
Yesterday, my son told me that daddy's car was better than mine.
"Oh yeah?!" I thought. "I guess you'll learn when daddy's car dies on the side of the road and mine takes you to college Mr. 5 year old!"
I've even convinced myself that once I do finally make that move and get a new vehicle... that I will "bless" my husband with my old car. This way, I haven't really lost my car... right?
Moments like that remind me that I am not resolute in my decision. If the 5 years of talking about it hadn't already clued me in.
I will most likely still be driving my current car next June. I can see that happening.
Though I thought I knew what I wanted in a new(er) vehicle - I'm at a stage of confusion. It is quite possible that I am subconsciously ruining our plans to avoid all of my guilt.
Do I want a mini-van or a large SUV?
Perhaps I should stick with a mid-size sedan due to gas prices skyrocketing?
I have really become fond of black vehicles over the blue. Does that even really matter?
My car is running fine - so long as I can keep shady mechanics away from her... why purchase another vehicle?
I would love a navigation system but do I need it?
The kids want a rear-entertainment-system... how necessary is that, really?
Leather interior? Yes please! Oh, nevermind - that is costly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
So, share your thoughts with me!
Am I the only one who behaves this way when it is time to consider a new vehicle?
What are the things you look for in a new vehicle?
What is the most important factor when you make this type of purchase?



